As hardwood furniture is beautiful, as it is demanding and you must be extremely careful how you handle it and how you take care of it. However, with time your furniture can start to worn out and to lose its beautiful aspect and it’s up to you to restore it. These maintenance tips will help you protect and enhance the natural and beautiful aspect of the hardwood furniture.
- If you want to clean the furniture, you can use a mixture of warm water and liquid soap that will nourish the wood’s structure. Never soak the furniture in water, but only dip a soft cloth in the mixture and wipe the furniture with gentle circular moves that will remove the depth dirt and dust.
- Although you may think that applying a coat of oil over the surface of the wood will help it last longer, you must know that nourishing solutions don’t work on wood because once it has been treated with a protective finish, the wood is sealed and no polish or oil will penetrate it. Therefore, applying oil on the hardwood furniture will have no beneficial effect.
- If you notice unpleasant white spots left by the coffee mug or the hot plate, you can easily remove them using a mild abrasive like a toothpaste mixed with baking soda or some hand cream mixed with ashes. Gently rub with a small cloth to remove the spot and restore the natural color of the wood.
- If your hardwood furniture starts losing its shiny aspect and it starts to crack, the cause might be a very dry air that removes the moisture from the wood. The solution is not to wash the furniture with water, but to restore the air humidity that will protect the shine of the furniture. The best way to do so is to use a humidifier that will hydrate every piece of hardwood furniture in your house. The water vapors released by the humidifier are absorbed by the furniture, which results in a restored shine and a neat aspect.
- An air too moist, on the other hand, can cause the hardwood furniture to swell and to crack as the moisture attacks the wood in depth. Once mold is caused by air humidity, it can also get into the hardwood furniture and getting it out can result much harder than you think. A dehumidifier can help you adjust the air humidity to a level that will protect the aspect of your hardwood furniture. This device absorbs the water from the air and keeps mold spores from forming in the wood’s structure so your precious furniture will look perfect throughout time. If you store old furniture in the basement, read some reviews about dehumidifiers for basement. The basement is a musty environment which could ruin your furniture, until you decide what you want to do with it. Moreover, classic dehumidifiers can’t handle the basement which is colder and more humid than the rest of the house. The best dehumidifiers for basement are bigger than normal dehumidifiers and require very little maintenance. Nevertheless, our advice would be t only store old furniture in the basement for a limited amount of time, as hardwood furniture is pretentious and can easily be ruined.
As you can see, caring for hard wood furniture is quite complicated. Luckily for you, there is a lot of information online that can help you maintain your furniture in mint condition. On the www.lemoptix.com site, you can discovering more guides and tips for improving your home and even your daily life.